Wrestling a Ninja to the ground isn't actually as fun as it sounds. I'm sure when you read the title you were all jealous and wished that it was you that could do it. Unfortunately I got a little help from Mother Earth and threw the Ninja down quite easily. Just to make it clear for those who wonder the the Hell I'm talking about, I wrecked my Kawasaki Ninja in East Canyon this morning. Not so jealous anymore are you? Well, since I'm typing this, it's pretty obvious I made it through the whole ordeal without too much drama and pain. Although the pain is starting to settle in approximately 7 hours later. I'm starting to feel a bit stiff. So I was out with about 6 other riders and we were cruising through East Canyon moving along at a pretty good pace. Roads were great until we got to the lake and took a left. I'm not sure what the road was but it had tight hairpins and they mostly seemed to be covered in gravel. I was only moving along about 25-30 mph into this hairpin. I was going too slow to lean the bike over anymore but going too fast to stop. Once I realized this I prepared for what was coming. It came a lot faster than I could prepare. I was leaned over left with a little trail brake trying to slow down but as soon as that front tire hit the dirt it tucked right under the bike and down I went. I twisted to my left and landed face down on my stomach, knees, elbows and hands and continued sliding on down off the side of the road feet first into my bike which lay in the weeds. This wreck could have been a lot worse but I always happen to wear my protective gear which saved all my skin. I don't have a scratch on me. Other than some bumps and bruises and what feels like pulled muscles, I'm doing OK. The bike didn't fair too poorly either. I have frame sliders installed for just this kind of instance and that $100 part saved me $500 in replacing plastics. The plastic did get a little goobered up as you can see in the pic but not too bad. Also bent my shifter and scuffed up my left mirror. I did have a camcorder mounted on my bike but for some reason the file that the wreck was on didn't work. That is very disappointing because I would love to show video of the whole thing. After I stopped sliding I jumped up and made sure my limbs were all in tact then walked over to the bike. Somehow I was able to lift that 400lb bike off it's side and back onto it's wheels. For those of you that have tried that you understand it's probably not too possible to do without the assistance of adrenaline. I gave a quick check of the mechanics, hopped on, and drove off in the twisties again. I was however going much slower since I didn't want to hit anymore gravel spots. Crashing wasn't near as scary as I thought it would be. I wonder if it's because it's something I've always known was a possibility and knew that it would probably happen sometime. I do think my fast canyon riding days are pretty much over. This year I've turned into a track junky and really just want to ride there. At least when you crash at the track there is an ambulance 30 seconds away and no car is going to run over you. I hope you all have learned a good lesson here. If you ride a bike then wear your gear. Under my jeans I have some abrasion resistant shorts and some leg armor that goes from my knee down to the bottom of my shin. Had I not been wearing those my knees would have been a bloody mess since they hit the ground first. I also have a spine protector under my leather jacket which itself has armor built into the arms and shoulders.
For the rest of the images you can go to http://photobucket.com/tonywrecks
3 comments:
Someone likes to give his wife heart palpitations...
EEK!!! I'm glad you're OK and are smart about wearing all of your safety gear. Don't give my sis anymore heart palpitations, ok?
Yikes! How scary...glad Tony is not hurt!
Post a Comment