When I was working I wanted just the opposite, for people to think I was older. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to be perceived as vibrant and attractive but I didn't want to flaunt the fact I was still in my twenties. I was managing a large division of employees, a lot of which were in there thirties, forties, and so on and so forth. I didn't think some would take too kindly to reporting to a twenty something girl. Due to this I always tried to present myself in a mature professional manner. I was going for "Wow, she is definitely in her thirties but looks like she is in her twenties". I always thought people would take me more seriously if they thought I was thirty. I don't know if I was successful in this endeavor and don't dare ask my past colleagues, that conversation could prove a bit awkward.
So... what do I think now that I'm actually thirty? To be quite honest, I struggled with the momentous birthday a bit in the beginning. The reasons behind this internal battle were vastly worldly and vain, and luckily I pushed past them. The last year has served as a reminder that growing older is a privilege denied to many. That being said, I'm ready to fully embrace my thirties. I'm excited for all the adventures that are still on the horizon. I'm eager to watch my children grow and develop their talents while discovering all the happiness life has to offer. While the world may not always perceive me as young and attractive, I hope to leave a legacy of being good to others and happiness.
As a side note, Ryder was NOT happy it was my birthday. The conversation went something like this:
Me: It's mommy's birthday tomorrow. Are you excited?
Ryder: (looking skeptical) No... RyRy's birthday. RyRy get birthday presents.
Me: No, it's mommy's birthday. Ryder's birthday was in April.
Ryder: (bottom lip quivering, eyes filling with tears) No! RyRy birthday presents!
Oh, to be two again. And no, I did not give in and give the little monster of a charmer any gifts. Thirty seconds after this conversation he was back to giving me loves and being a momma's boy. One thing two years excel at is being quick to forgive and forget.
![]() |
| Ryder April 2013. Photo credit goes to my talented sister-in-law Jenn. |


1 comment:
You are a beautiful women who is doing a great job embracing your thirties! I love the bottom photo of Ryder, it is adorable!
Post a Comment