Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Turn of a Quarter of a Century

It’s true, this was bound to happen. I am a grown up after all. I am married, I have two kids, I have a full time job with benefits… and *gulp* I am now turning 25! The logical part of me recognizes that 25 isn’t old… but the illogical part of me is having an arduous time coping with the concept of being a quarter of a century. In honor of this seemingly trivial occasion I decided to compose a poem. As a disclaimer, please keep in mind that my poetry can be a bit off kilter, especially when I am the subject matter. I don’t expect the masses to understand or appreciate my poetic ramblings, I am just another misunderstood artist that uses words as my medium. Without further ado, I present my creation in all its random glory.

~My Only Constant~
I’m that kind of girl
That stops to smell the flowers
And glowers
The pungent aroma of fresh
Evokes thoughts of death

I like thinking thoughts
I savor these thoughts
I like to get alone with them
Let them ferment in my mind
Get drunk off of fantasy
Perhaps my thoughts are fiction
Would writing them down
Make them fact?

Thrusting myself
Cross a threshold
Falling into an awkward love
Of surface deceit
Entering a world
Where I am the star
The antithesis of me
Never alone in my love
Many lack the ability to admit
Certain truths

I once found myself
…only to lose myself again
In this life
Change is my only constant
I have mastered the art of
Playing a good stupid
While abiding with
The incessant reminder that
Life isn’t fair

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was an amazing poem and I actually understood it. Made complete sense to me and I loved it.

Katie said...

Happy quarter of a century! I love your poetry, I wish I had a way with words the way you do. Love ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...