.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Wow! That is one word that describes riding on the track. It was one of the coolest things I have ever done in my 31 years. Last Saturday I was able to do my first track day ever and I’m lucky enough to have MMP (Miller Motorsports Park) right in my backyard basically. What a world-class facility this place is. Make sure you all come out and see World Super Bike on May 31-June 1st held at this track.
The weather was predicted to be rainy and snowy. Luckily the weathermen got it wrong and we wound up with a mostly sunny day. It was cold (40’s) but you didn’t even notice when you were on the track.
Out on the track for the first time was pretty scary. We did a couple laps with the instructor then they turned us loose. We all went at a reasonable pace for a while since we were getting use to the layout and our tires were cold. After about 10 minutes the pace picked up and I started to feel a tiny bit more comfortable. After the session ended, I exited the track and couldn’t get the grin off my face. I couldn’t wait for the next session to start.
As the day wore on I got more and more comfortable and started to pass most of the people in my group. I was catching 600’s and litres in the corners but then they would pull me on the straights. I finally started to get into the corner faster than them and make the pass and they wouldn’t ever catch me again. It was the coolest feeling to get around the other bikes while leaned over in the turns.
I did scare myself a few times by losing focus and taking a few turns too wide because I went in too hot, and once I leaned over far enough to scrape my left peg on the ground. That startled me since I’ve never felt that before.
I heard that trackdays was an addiction and now I see why. I’m signed up for April 27th now. I’m just counting down the days.
This bike actually handled very well out there. I have Michelin Pilot Powers on and didn’t have any problem sticking to the track. Not once did I lose confidence in them. Since we were only doing the East track and not the whole track, the straight was only half as long. I was able to reach 110mph on the straight and on another part of the track before having to grab the brake and set up for the turn.
One thing that really surprised me was that I could get into 4th gear and never have to shift again. This motor pulled so well, and the track was set up just right, that the engine never lugged and I wouldn’t have to shift before getting to the end of the straight. Everyone else was pounding through the gears but I never had to. And I still passed most of them. For a budget bike this little 650 kicks some serious ass.
No comments:
Post a Comment