Saturday, August 16, 2008

My first 20 mile cycle ride

Well, I finally did it. Not that I have been trying very long. I bought me a Schwinn road bike 3 weeks ago and have been riding 5 days a week. Up until yesterday my longest ride was 10.3 miles.

Yesterday I set out on my ride in hopes of doing 20 miles but not knowing if I could make it. After mile 5 which was mostly uphill, I thought I wasn't going to make it. I turned left onto Bacchus where I pulled off the road and looked down the long hill in front of me deciding if I really wanted to go for it. I took a couple drinks of water and decided that this was the day I was going to conquer the distance.

I put my water bottle back in the cage, clipped in my shoes and started hammering down that long hill past the dump. I wanted to keep my speed up as high as I could since the other side of the hill was just as steep going up.

I churned all the way to 38.9 miles an hour, a little scared since that's faster than I have ever gone on a bike without a motor, and all I have is a measly helmet to keep my body from coming apart in case of a crash.

Luckily I was going fast enough to only have to drop 2 gears going up the other side. Other than that my ride was pretty uneventful and serene.

I'm not sure if it was harder than I expected or easier. I do know that it was awesome to pull into the driveway at exactly the 20 mark. It took me 1hr 17min 59sec at an average speed of 15.4mph.

I didn't quit! I wasn't sure if I could do it but once I made the decision to roll after that 5 mile mark there was no turning back. Cycling is not only a physical strain but also a mental strain. You can really find out a lot about yourself and your abilities when you're on a bike. You have to make yourself do things your mind and body are saying no to. Once you get there you want to do it again. It's a feeling of great accomplishment once you reach the end. This is a very fun and healthy sport.

My brother Tim talked me into getting the bike so I could train for mini triathlons and I'm glad he did. The bike actually does 2 things for me. First, it's the best training you can do to race motorcycles and I know it has made me better since last Sunday my track day went exceptionally well. And the second thing it's doing it making me lose weight like crazy. Last Saturday I was 178 lbs and this Saturday I'm at 171 lbs and you can start to see a 6pack forming. I can't tell you how exciting that is for someone that has never had one.

Here is my route from yesterday:

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

4 comments:

Katie said...

Way to go Tony! Woot!

Sheila said...

That's my man!!!

Trisha said...

Tony that is so awesome. I'm really glad that you like it. I'm still yet to come even close to 20 miles, maybe someday. We'll have to figure out how to go on a ride sometime soon.

Tim

Trisha said...

Tony that is so awesome. I'm really glad that you like it. I'm still yet to come even close to 20 miles, maybe someday. We'll have to figure out how to go on a ride sometime soon.

Tim

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...